Unable to debug in vs 2008
aaa
2011-12-02 12:12:31 UTC
Hi all,

I am facing issue while debugging on vs 2008. i have windows service
whihc i want to debug.
but when i try to attach that service in vs2008, symbols are not
getting loaded.

i have both vs2008 and vs 2010 installed on system.
on vs 2010, symbopls are getting loaded properly.
but on vs2008 symbols are not getting loaded.

Same project i converted to 2008 and 2010.
can anyone please shed some light on it?

thanks.
Peter Duniho
2011-12-02 18:46:22 UTC
Post by aaa
Hi all,
I am facing issue while debugging on vs 2008. i have windows service
whihc i want to debug.
but when i try to attach that service in vs2008, symbols are not
getting loaded.
i have both vs2008 and vs 2010 installed on system.
on vs 2010, symbopls are getting loaded properly.
but on vs2008 symbols are not getting loaded.
Same project i converted to 2008 and 2010.
can anyone please shed some light on it?
Are you trying to debug an assembly that was built in 2010? If so, I'm
not sure that 2008 would necessarily be compatible with the .pdb files
generated by 2010.

It's not a configuration that I would use (if I've got 2010 installed
and built a project with it, I definitely am going to use 2010's
debugger, not 2008's :) ), so I'm also not sure that 2008 would
necessarily be INcompatible with the 2010-generated .pdb files. But
it's something to look at, just in case.

You may also be able to learn something by checking the "Output" window,
to see if any useful messages are displayed when the debugger attempts
to load the symbols. E.g. does it simply not find the .pdb file, or is
there something about the .pdb file that it did find that it doesn't like?

Pete
aaa
2011-12-03 02:17:30 UTC

thanks for reply.

Actually my project was initially created in vs 2010. but then in
2008, i created new project and just copied cs files from 2010.
What i am getting at a time of debugging is , the module window is not
and in attach to process window,my process's type is displayed as
TSQL, X86. Where as in 2010, type is displayued as maanged with
verison as 4.0

I am not sure, but it look like 2008, not getting current version from
symbol file.

thanks...
Jason Keats
2011-12-03 08:31:41 UTC
Post by aaa
Hi all,
I am facing issue while debugging on vs 2008. i have windows service
whihc i want to debug.
but when i try to attach that service in vs2008, symbols are not
getting loaded.
i have both vs2008 and vs 2010 installed on system.
on vs 2010, symbopls are getting loaded properly.
but on vs2008 symbols are not getting loaded.
Same project i converted to 2008 and 2010.
can anyone please shed some light on it?
thanks.
Many have a console version of the program which they use to debug the
code, then when everything appears to be working they copy the relevant
files to their windows service.

If you're creating several windows services, then Topshelf may be worth
learning to use: http://topshelf-project.com/